Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Journey as an NBA fan

So I figured I should probably give some information before we get too deep into the blog world. I am a sports junkie and love sports but for some reason basketball has always been what I loved the most to play and to watch. It truly is the best example of a team sport and beautiful artwork when done the right way.
First championship I remember watching: Bulls vs. Lakers (MJ's first title where he pulls off this move against Magic's Lakers
Favorite player and team (brief synopsis): I loved MJ just like all the other people in their pre-teen and teenage years, but my favorite player was Larry Johnson. Therefore, the Hornets became my favorite team growing up. I loved Larry at UNLV and it carried right over to the Hornets with his moves. Him and 'Zo together made an awesome duo and they were a really solid team. Then, George Shinn, owner of the Hornets, decided to be a JERK (btw, some things don't ever really change because it is the same way now with Chris Paul in New Orleans) and move the franchise after selling off all the pieces like Zo and LJ. Shinn was a penny-pinching owner who would not spend to improve the team and take them to the next level. I was torn but felt I needed a new team after the Hornets were moved to New Orleans. As a transplant from DC, I was drawn back to the Bullets (now currently the Wizards). They had some lean years but then things started to change when they signed Agent Zero to a 64 million dollar contract about 6 years ago followed by a shrewd trade of Kwame Brown for Caron Butler of the Lakers. Then we signed Antawn Jamison from the Mavs forming our current core.
However, the years between Jordan retiring from the Bulls after the shot over Bryon Russell and 2002 were a dead spot for me in my hoop watching like most NBA fans. However, toward the end of 2002-03 season, I kinda got pulled back in with the games coming onto ESPN and watching Yao and Amare battle for rookie of the year in my college apartment. The 2003 draft was insane with LeBron, Darko, Melo, Wade, and Bosh. 4 future NBA Hall of Famers there so I tended to gravitate towards Melo as he was a Baltimore native and had won the National Title in his only year at Syracuse. The combination of the new talent being influxed in and the Run and Gun Suns brought me back fully. They just wanted to score and score and score and they were entertaining. It would be an interesting study to do a case study of the Suns from the time that Steve Nash came to them from Dallas (future blog post). The rest as they say is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment